Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The ties that bind..

Family. Love 'em, or leave 'em. Everyone has some sort of love/hate relationship with their family, whether they want to admit it or not. My family is a wide variety mix of personalities, quirks, tempers, and idiosyncrasies and attitudes.

This past weekend, my family proved to me that despite all the garbage and nonsense that goes on within a family, the strongest bond between anyone is that of family. Whether by blood or by marriage, by birth or by introduction, the strongest relationship most people ever know is that of their family. And I am not just speaking of the mother-father-sister-brother kind of family. I am talking also about the friends who will calm you down and remind you to look at the big picture instead of ruining something awesome over something essentially silly.. The person who will come to your rescue in the middle of the night because you made a bad judgment call by leaving the bar with that guy. The people who lend you money and don't expect it back.. The people who love you unconditionally no matter what color your hair is, how many tattoos you have, or what music you choose to listen to.. The people who will watch your baby on a moments notice, or help out your husband with gift ideas when he thinks a vacuum will do for a birthday gift for you.

I have at one point or another fought with each member of my family. I have bitched and complained about something they did, didn't do, or were supposed to do.. I have cried with each member of my family, and leaned on each one of them. I have yelled at or expressed my opposition to each member of my family, and expressed joy for each of their accomplishments.

This past weekend, as my family joined my husband and I in officially welcoming my baby to the world and to our family, I was reminded of how important family is.. Without them, our party would have never have been so special. Without them, our little family would never be complete. With each passing day, my family helps me out whether it being a piece of advice, a moment to listen to my fears about mommy-hood, or a pair of hands to watch the baby when I need to go to work.

Through all the ins and outs and ups and downs, come hell or high water my family is always there. I promise through the good and the bad, I will always be there for them too. Many families have problems and disputes. Many families have fights and claim to hate each other from time to time..

Personally, I like to view my family like a Monet painting.. If you stand real close and scrutinize each aspect, it just looks like a big mess.. A sloppy mix of colors and dots.. But when you take a moment to step back and look at the big picture you see smiling faces, happiness and memories being created with each passing moment.. And to me, that's a true work of art.

Thank you to all who made this past weekend possible. On behalf of Isabel, Andre and myself, we love you all.. xoxoxoxoxoxo

1 comment: